Many people dread getting rid of items when cleaning out their closets. Some people hold onto things they “may need one day”. The key is to focus on what you’re keeping rather than what you’re letting go of. To begin separate your clothes into distinct piles:
- Keep: Things you love and wear often.
- Sell: Items in good condition for sale, especially brand-named.
- Donate: These items should be in good shape.
- Trash: Anything stained, ripped, or embarrassing to donate.
Now comes the hard part, deciding which pile items belong in. To make it easier, ask yourself these questions about each item:
- Do you love it?
- Do you wear it?
- Does it carry the image you want to portray?
If you answer “yes” to all three, it’s a keeper. But if you’re having a hard time, put it in a maybe “maybe” pile and revisit it later. If you never thought about wearing these items in a few months, you’ll be more confident in letting them go.